Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Delta Machine - New Depeche Mode album review

Delta Machine - New Depeche Mode album review 

This is quite unorthodox for me to review a music album. Note that this is not just any album but the latest, the 13th LP of Depeche Mode. DM is one of my favorite bands, that's why I want to promote and review their new work.

Delta Machine is so far unlike any of DM albums that I've listened and I've heard them all many times. It's a mix of dense sounds and dark atmosphere. Delta Machine is a full experience. I think people should listen the whole album at once, since seemingly they are no stand alone hit single but a compilation of feelings and moods, a roller coaster ride for the soul to explore. I must say that this album is not easy to approach, but as I listen more, more I become accustomed and the music and lyrics grow on me. My advice for those who haven't already heard Depeche Mode, this album requires time to absorb. It's not the trickly, catcthy pop album that comes out every week. It's definitely not radio friendly, with all of its low-fi, blue mood and religious atmosphere.

Here's the link for the album on youtube.




The new album is more lyric driven than any other I've heard so far of Depeche Mode. The album quickly paces on with slowingly growing opening track Welcome to My World. The couple after (Angel and Heaven) has a more religious, spiritual lyrics that have a contrast with the sometimes harsh, loud sounds.  The tempo cools down after Secret to the End. Slower, more contemplative Broken, Slow and The Child Inside grow towards to the screeching Soft Touch/Raw Nerve. The end tracks catch up some new groovy tunes. Should be higher, Soothe My Soul, Alone and Goodbye. The last having a striking resemblance to Angel. 

As for the bonus tracks of the Deluxe Version, they lack a certain cohesion that would tie them to the original album, so it is obvious for these to be reviewed separately. However, this last remark is intended as comfort for those fans who only have original version. The rest of the tracks are great as well.  You can decide the thing yourself…


Bonus tracks, now, here. Seeping in…

Some reading ahead
Bonus tracks review: http://finnballwizard.blogspot.fi/2013/03/depeche-mode-delta-machine-deluxe.html
Heaven Remixes EP review: http://finnballwizard.blogspot.fi/2013/04/heaven-remixes-ep-review.html

Let me know what you think, leave a comment. Thnx for any comments in advance.

Similar music: Black Noise (2010) by Pantha du Prince
Other electronic 2013 worth you while : English Electric (2013) by OMD

------

On another note, that is, humans creating a better world together - Thrive Movement Documentary - Something that everybody should have a look on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV5AFFcZ-s&feature=player_embedded

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant analysis. You are right to the point. I will share your review on my FB music page if you do not mind:
    Loic Rathchscheck Music Page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the deluxe album as a 17 track complete set and I think the last 4 songs fit the entire album perfectly...I'm a massive DM fan and I think Delta Machine is one of THE very best things they've ever done, I grew up with them, I'm 54 and a similar age to the band, they are better than ever, love them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I am an old fan, I cannot agree that this latest album is good. It sounds awful. I'm not buying this one.

    ReplyDelete