Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lost in dead space?

Space is dark, empty and cold. Imagine a void. A sterile environment of open vastness that boggles our minds incessantly.

Now that intro's done, time to move on. I going to write about space and aliens in gaming since I've been playing some Dead Space 2. I've also kept an eye on the latest in the front of sci-fi gaming, you know, Dead Space 3 and Aliens Colonial Marines. Well, long story short, so far the Dead Space franchise beats the hell out of Colonial Marines which is sadly stuck in the eighties.

So to begin I start with the eldest Dead Space and move towards the latest addition of the series. Then I'm moving to examine the Aliens game and its ties with the movie series.

Dead Space was scary. I had trouble finishing the game, more than six months break between the attempts at completing the single player campaign. Wow. Scary as hell. The ambiance, music, graphics and the story… Everything in its right place. Only minor thing was the rigid controls which left a similar sensation than that of Killzone 2, but well still acceptable. A neat ensemble altogether.

As for Dead Space 2, I've been playing it for some time. I bought it ages ago but now I've managed to force myself to play it. And surprise, it's not nearly as scary as the first game. The only thing that gets me are the jump-scares, unattended sounds, flickering lights etc. Once again, a perfect survival horror experience with a twist.

They say the third time's the charm. First of all, before the release of Dead Space 3, I remained skeptical about the new features like co-op gameplay. As for the story and setting, I was aware that it would be a challenge to provide the fans of the series something totally new, something to bring more new faces to this kind of game; a compromise perhaps to attract more shooter fans to series, with the risk of alienating some vowed fans of the series. Thus far, from what I gather, DS3 is pretty much DS2 with new story. Expect nothing special, unique: a secure move from EA. However something that made the earlier games is missing. Do you feel scared? I don't. I knew what to expect, since the transition woke me up in DS2. I'm not scared to play the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment